IEE Newsletter No. 22

Cooperation with Afghanistan: A Contribution to the Advancement of Education in Afghanistan

Ahsanullah Mohsen, an Afghan lecturer participating in the Master's Programme in Management and Economics shares his experience with the programme so far.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." Maimonides

Afghanistan, as a post-war country, has numerous problems and obstacles that prevent it from reasonable development in different aspects. A considerable percentage of the population in Afghanistan comprises of young men and women; however, most of them are either not well trained or do not have enough technical knowledge and education.
The development of education depends on the number and quality of professors, lecturers, and teachers. A number of international communities and institutions are involved in developing teaching skills at various academic levels. One of the major participants is the Institute of Development Research and Development Policy (IEE) of the Ruhr University Bochum.

My Studies

After high school, I applied and passed the exam for a scholarship offered by the Indian Council for Cultural Relation (ICCR).
After I graduated from Goa University, India, I joined one of the private universities in Afghanistan as a lecturer. I made this choice, believing that higher education is a highly influential approach that would allow me to contribute to the advancement of our country.
I am the first lecturer from the "Jahan Institute of Higher Education" who, together with 23 other lecturers from economic faculties of other universities in Afghanistan, has come to Bochum with the aim of completing a master's degree in management and economics.
Our bachelor upgrade programme started in March 2014 and we successfully completed it at the end of February 2015. In March 2015, the master's programme started and we joined a previously existing group of 19 Afghan master's students, who were in their second semester of the programme. In total, we are 37 students pursuing our studies at the graduate level at the Ruhr University Bochum.
It must be stressed that the IEE not only offers us the opportunity to obtain a master's degree, but also to take part in many other useful programmes and events.
We had several cultural events, such as the "Blaupause" and the "Asientag". We also attended a seminar on "Sports for Development Gender Equity in Afghanistan" as part of the GIZ series, "Research meets Practice". Among other events, we had an Afghan evening event at Ruhr University Bochum.

Asientag w Rektor WeilerAfghan lecturers with Elmar Weiler (rector of the RUB) at Asientag in June 2015 (photo: private).

Impression of Germany

I consider Germany as a country that is advanced in almost all social and economic aspects. Particularly in providing the opportunities for educating its own nation, as well as students from other countries.
The international office at the Ruhr University offers a programme provided by "Experiment.de". The intention of the programme is to familiarize and connect various cultures with each other. During the Christmas holidays in December 2014, I applied for the Experiment programme, which meant a two-week stay with a German family. I learned a lot about the culture and people of Germany in these two weeks. My "host family" - the family that accepted me as a guest for Christmas holidays - lived in Bonn. We spent the entire period together, enjoying the holidays and celebrating New Year Eve.

To the IEE

I am sincerely honoured to have the experience of studying at the Ruhr University Bochum in the Afghan lecturers' training programme, which will allow me to get closer to my dream job as a professor. Therefore, I would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge all of the efforts made by the IEE, as well as by all other parties involved in providing these opportunities for Afghan lecturers. I'd like to say thank you from bottom of my heart. Thank you for your generosity and for the efficient contribution to the future of Afghanistan.

Ahsanullah Mohsen neu
Ahsanullah Mohsen

Institute Navigation

Newsletter

You can subscribe to our newsletter via this link:

IEE Newsletter Subscription

Or have a look at our current Newsletter first.