iee header foto madm-ct


Frequently Asked Questions: MADM Programme in Cape Town

01. How do I apply to the Master Course?

Please see our section "How to apply".

02. Do you offer online courses?

No. We do not offer any e-learning or distance-learning courses. The MA Development Management is a blended learning offer, which is located at the University of the Western cape, South Africa and the Ruhr-University Bochum, Germany.

03. What is the study duration?

The Master's course is one and a half years in length (three semesters: two semesters of tutorials and one semester of field research in a developing country and writing of the master's thesis). The course starts every other year with the next intake in May 2018.

04. Are there any deadlines for application?

Application deadline for the Bochum Programme on Development Management at the University of the Western Cape is the 30th of November 2019. Please Note that submissions prior January 2019 are not possible. For further details see "How to apply".

05. What are the admission criteria?

The admission criteria are:
  1. Above average B.A. or relevant degree in political science, social science, law, economics or geography or in other subjects related to the planning and evaluation of development programmes and projects.
  2. Career experience in a relevant field; preference is given to candidates whose employers offer a reintegration guarantee. Applicants shall demonstrate practical experience at least through a relevant internship.
  3. Minimum certified proficiency in written and spoken English - TOEFL: 79-80 points internet based (equivalent to 213 points computer based or 550 paper based) or IELTS: band 6. This can be waived if the official language of instruction in your country of origin is English and all three levels of education you had were taught in English.

06. Do you offer any scholarships for international students?

For applicants from Sub-Saharan African countries with an excellent academic record, the South African - German Centre for Development Research offers a limited number of DAAD merit scholarships per intake. Scholarships include monthly allowances of 650 Euro plus travel allowances for Master candidates. Please refer to the Scholarship Section for further information.

07. How do I contact students of the study programme / of my nationality?

You can look at our Alumni section to get an overview of what previous students have done. You can also contact the student council (Fachschaft) at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. of the MADM to find out if there are students from your country participating in the current intake.

08. Do I have to pay any study fees?

The tuition fee for the Bochum Programme of Development Management at the University of the Western Cape is 500 Euro per semester. Scholarship holders of the South African - German Centre for Development Research are exempted from these fees. A small course registration fee may be charged by the University of the Western Cape. The registration fee with the University of Bochum is covered from programme funds. Additional costs may arise from travelling to and from South Africa twice (at the beginning and end of the programme and for the field research period).

Travel costs for the study period in Germany are covered from funds of the South African - German Centre for Development Research. A small scholarship (or topping-up of existing scholarships) of Euro 430 will help to finance your study period in Germany.

09. How do I pay my study fees?

During the first semester you have to pay the fees within the period of enrolling. This period will be announced on time. After the first semester, the fees have to be paid within the re-registration period. Usually this period is at the end of the previous semester, it will be announced on time. You can transfer the fees, pay it in cash at the bank or give the University permission to debit the money directly from your account.

10. How do I open a bank account?

In order to participate in the cash-free transfer of money to pay for rent, health insurance and similar things you must have your own personal account. To open the bank account you will need: your passport and residence permit, letter of acceptance from the university and your address in South-Africa. There are branches of ABSA, First National Bank (FNB) and Capitec on campus and we strongly suggest to have a bank account when studying in Cape Town.

11. When do I enroll?

You need to register with the University within the period indicated on your Letter of Admission. The enrolment will be done online at the Ruhr-University and you will be enrolled at the UWC as exchange students, as you are doing your studies in a German programme at a University in South Africa.

12. What are the living costs?

For regular costs of living students should allow for an amount of around 650 Euro per month including accommodation, insurance, etc.

13. How do I get to the University of the Western Cape?

UWC boasts its own railway station, called Unibell, located on the southern boundary of the campus, and train services that run from Cape Town and Bellville.

There are three campuses at UWC. The main campus is in Bellville, in the Cape metropolitan area close to Cape Town International Airport. The other two campuses – clinical and teaching facilities for dentistry and oral health – are located in Tygerberg Hospital and Mitchell's Plain. The MADM will be taught at the School of Government at the main campus in Bellville. How to get to the School of Government, please look at: http://www.uwc.ac.za/Faculties/EMS/SOG/Pages/default.aspx.

15. Where can I find out more about the city of Cape Town?

For general information please look at: www.cape-town.info or www.capetown.gov.za.

16. How do I get my accommodation?

Since the student dorms and residences around the UWC are highly demanded by students due to their relative security and safety, we strongly encourage our prospective students to either secure their accommodation on their own (for example look at: http://capetown.gumtree.co.za) or to look for the University Residences (look for the list of residences at the following page: http://www.uwc.ac.za/Students/SD/Res/Pages/Home%20Page.aspx).

17. Can I change my accommodation if I do not like the offered one?

You are free to look for accommodation on your own, but since public transport in Cape Town is different from public transport in Europe or the US we strongly recommend taking accommodation either on campus or near the campus in Bellville.

18. How much does the accommodation cost?

The range of the student residences on campus is from around 7000R up to 12000R, excluding registration fees and deposits. For other accommodation please look at: http://capetown.gumtree.co.za.

19. Is food included in the price of accommodation?

No, but all accommodations have cooking facilities. There is the possibility to eat in the University cafeteria, at small delis around the campus or in Belville.

20. How do I get access to the library?

As soon as you have enrolled, you get your student card which you should carry with you at all times. This card will give you access to the main university library. Some departments and most institutes also have their own libraries (some institute libraries do not lend out books, but you can make copies or read inside the library).

21. How can I get my email address?

With your matriculation you will get your own email address at the Ruhr-University of Bochum and another mail address at the University of the Western Cape. You will also have a VPN account of both the Ruhr-University and the University of the Western Cape.

22. What are language requirements?

Since the language of instruction is English, you need to have a minimum certified proficiency in written and spoken English which is either a TOEFL result of 79-80 points internet based (equivalent to 213 points computer based or 550 paper based) or IELTS: band 6. This can be waived if the official language of Instruction in your country of origin is English and all three levels of education you had were taught in English.

23. How do I join a sports or social club?

The University offers many free sport courses and clubs.

24. Are there any German language classes?

Proven German language proficiency is not a precondition for application. It is nevertheless highly recommended to follow German language classes before you come to Germany. Weekly German classes will also be offered during the duration of your studies. Participation is mandatory for all scholarship holders with only basic German language proficiency but is highly recommended for all international participants who are beginners in the German language as German proficiency is essential for the arrangement of an internship in Germany which is part of your studies.

MADM: Contact

SiebertDr. Anne Siebert
Coordinator MADM
(on leave)

Leonie Grunau
Contact Person MADM

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Phone:  +49 (0)234 / 32-19024
Fax: +49 (0)234 / 32-14294

MADM Cape Town - FAQ: Download

MADM in Cape Town:
Financial Needs