Funding Opportunities and Scholarhip Info:
The Erasmus Mundus Action 2 project EUSA_ID which is coordinated by the IEE offers an additional funding opportunity for South African applicants for the PhD in International Development Studies. For details on the scholarship application process please visit the EUSA_ID website. The deadline for the next call for applications of the EUSA_ID partnership will be published in February 2015.
The next application deadline for the PhD in International Development Studies will be 30 April 2015. Applications for the intake 2015 can be submitted at any time. The selection process, however, will only start after the application deadline.
Please see also our Information on Scholarship Organisations.
Candidates with an above-average advanced degree in Human Geography, Law, Social or Political Science, Economics, Development Management or related subjects from all over the world who aspire further scientific qualification through a research project related to "International Development Studies" and have a strong interest in interdisciplinary work are invited to apply for the program.
Minimum entry requirements:
For international degrees the equivalence will be judged during the application process. Candidates who have to follow preparatory studies before admission to the PhD in International Development Studies can be accepted for such preparatory studies at the Ruhr University Bochum.
- Qualified university degree (Master or an equivalent to the German Diploma or Staatsexamen) with an overall grade equivalent to 2.7 (fully satisfactory) in the German grading system after completion of relevant studies with a duration of at least 4 years
- Qualified degree with an overall grade equivalent to 1.7 (fully good) in the German grading system after completion of relevant studies with a duration of at least three years plus preparatory studies for the PhD of usually three semesters.
Admission to the PhD IDS is based on a competitive selection process. The major criteria are:
- Quality of research proposal
- Supporting academic references
- Overall grades of previous studies
- Proficiency in English
To apply the following documents have to be submitted:
- Application form (PDF, Word)
- Application letter which should give an idea about the motivation for applying to the PhD in International Development Studies
- Research proposal of PhD project (Guidelines for writing a research proposal - Download)
- Full Curriculum Vitae (see templates as PDF, Word)
- Certificates and transcripts of university studies, certificate of secondary education
- English language proficiency certificate (IELTS Band 6 or TOEFL 550 paper based / 213 computer based / 80 internet based)
- Two academic recommendation letters
Please submit your application to:
Institute of Development Research and Development Policy
Dr. Anja Zorob
Building GB, Room 1/161
D-44801 Bochum - Germany